“Starting From Scratch” Case Study – Income Report June 2016
Welcome to the fourth of the monthly income reports for the “Starting From Scratch” niche site case study. In these monthly reports, I’ll go through the income, traffic and rankings of the case study site. Monthly reports are important, not only to let you see how the site is doing, but it helps me to improve the site by analyzing the results. If you’re looking for more posts on what I’ve built and how, you can find them here.
Traffic & Visitors – June 2016
Unique Visitors: 40
Bounce Rate: 71%
Unique Visitors Sent To Amazon: 10
Conversion Rate to Amazon: 25%
In this fourth month since the site went live, traffic took a little bit of a dive after I enabled SSL on the site. After a few weeks of lower traffic and rankings, I decided to remove SSL part way into July and the site has started to pop back up to its previous rankings. Although the site is not yet ranking on the first page for any of the target keywords, it would still be ranking on the first page for very obscure queries that are covered in the site’s content.
I expect traffic in July to pick up a bit but still be rather similar, with a small trickle of visitors coming to the site on a daily basis.
Amazon Earnings – June 2016
Items Sold: 0
Items Shipped: 0
Total Amount Sold: $0.00
Commission Earned: $0.00
Average Visitor Value: $0.00
Average Item Commission: $0.00
As I predicted from last month, sales for this month are still rather low, because the site is not yet ranking for its target keywords. Rankings have improved steadily across the month and the site is starting age a little, so I’m hoping that during June we’ll see a couple more sales.
I expect the sales for June to still be fairly low – hopefully between $10-$20 worth of commissions.
Rankings – June 2016
Top 3: 0
Top 10: 0
Top 100: 10
Not in Top 100: 6
Rankings took a bit of a dive during June because of the test with enabling SSL on the site. The main target keyword and the main variants on that keyword for the site dropped off, and some of the smaller terms took a hit as well. After disabling SSL during July, it has recovered and I’ve also started a second round of link building
New Plans & Changes
Using a small network of 15 sites to link to the main/money site is different to my usual method and part of this case study was for me to test out the viability of this method. Looking at the results so far, I decided that the best course of action would be to increase the number of domains in my network that were linking to this site from 15 to 20.
So, in order to expand the network from 15 to 20, I went and used PBN HQ‘s expired domains marketplace to quickly pick up 5 more domains to add to the network and placed some new orders on Hirewriters to get the content for these new sites.
These links will be going live during the month of July, and hopefully we will see some ranking improvements in July, August and September and see the site earning more.
Overall Spend & Earnings
Build Cost: $952
Earnings March: $5.71
Earnings April: $4.84
Earnings May: $1.59
Earnings June: $0.00
Expenses March: $0 ($36.90 for first month’s hosting on Bulk Buy Hosting and Vultr were included in initial case study expenses)
Expenses April: $36.90 – Bulk Buy Hosting 15 Accounts Plan & Vultr VPS server.
Expenses May: $36.90 – Bulk Buy Hosting 15 Accounts Plan & Vultr VPS server.
Expenses June: $44.90 – Bulk Buy Hosting 20 Accounts Plan & Vultr VPS server, $55 to PBN HQ for domains, $45 for Domain Registrations, $92.50 to HireWriters.
At the end of July, once I have the Amazon reports for the full month, I’ll share my next post showing the traffic and earnings for this site.
If you have any questions about what I’ve covered so far, or feel that I haven’t covered any specific component in enough detail, please leave a comment on this post – I’ll been answering reader questions in the comments.
If you haven’t already signed up for e-mail updates, please put your name and e-mail address in the boxes below and click Subscribe so that you don’t miss any of the updates from this case study.